Thursday, 8 January 2015

Favourite people of 2014

Hello! So because I'm living in the past I thought I'd do a little look back on my favourite public figures of 2014. Now, this list is by no means exhaustive, and of course does not include those humans who are always on my Favourites List - Thom Yorke, Edward Norton, Scorsese et al - but I focused on people I only discovered last year, or formed an immovable connection with (I form connections through Netflix, so sue me). And granted this list is rather TV/Film heavy, but hey what do you expect from a film producer? On with the list.

Shonda Rhimes creator of Grey's Anatomy Scandal and How to get away with Murder

Shonda Rhimes
Writer/Showrunner

Where do I start with this wonderful woman? If for some reason you don't know her name, you sure as hell watch one of her shows. Grey's Anatomy, Scandal, How to Get Away With Murder. Yes. This woman created some of the most compelling television last year and continues to completely dominate network TV - her three shows are shown back-to-back-to-back on ABC on a Thursday between 8-11pm which is network TV's most important slot. I do believe she is the first Black female showrunner (creator/exec producer of a TV show) and she is kicking some serious ass. I salute you, Shonda!

Actress Vera Farmiga star of Bates Motel

Vera Farmiga

Actor

So I first became a fan of this lady waaay back in 2006 when she played Madolyn in my favourite film of all time The Departed. But it was when I start watching Bates Motel, a modern set prequel of the Hitchcock classic Pyscho did I really fall in all kinds of love for her. She plays Norma Bates and BOY does she play her. If you've never watched Bates Motel I suggest you do (season 1 is on Netflix so no excuses!) 


Devon Sawa
Actor

Okay maybe this is cheating. I've loved Devon Sawa since this and this. But he pretty much shot to the top of my favourites list last year when I started watching CW show Nikita where plays a pretty badass ex-assassin. Plus he's a funny tweeter


Amma Asante Director of film Belle

Amma Asante
Director

Amma Asante directed an absolutely gorgeous film Belle, about the illegitimate mixed-race daughter of a British Royal Navy Admiral during the British slave trade. This film was a phenomenal success both in the UK and the US and Ms. Asante is currently working on her follow-up - a US Studio produced feature. With Belle being just her second film, I am so unbelievably excited to see what comes next!

Shawn Hatosy 

Actor

Ah Shawn. This is another little cheat, because I've been on the Hatosy-Bandwagon since Alpha Dog. But it was his turn as Sammy Bryant in one of my all time favourite TV shows Southlandwhich I absolutely devoured in a matter of weeks, that really made me dig this guy. He is unbelievably talented and we have another funny tweeter on our hands.  

Richard Ayoade 

Actor/Director

I totally don't even need a reason for this one, but I'll give you one. THE DOUBLE. Oh and I saw him on South Molton St in London last year looking rather dapper. So there's two. 

MORE

Hayley Marie Norman - For thisActor
Azealia Banks - For this. Musician
Hatty Ashdown - For this. Comedian/Writer
Sasha Wilkins - For this. Blogger
Emma Dabiri - For this, Writer
Zeba Blay and Fariha Roisin (Two Brown Girls) - For this. Podcasters/Writers

Who were some of your favourite people last year?
Drea xo

3 comments:

  1. I know Shonda because my friends sceam bloody murder about her when she "give them too many feelings". Ahahah, that's how I know her since I don't follow her series!

    I'd say the THE people of the 2014 for me are Neil Gaiman, because that man has the ability of inspiring me every time he says or writes something; Emma Watson, because her #HeForShe gave voice to a better feminism and Malala Yousafzai, because she is the most beautiful Nobel I saw in a while, so inspiring from such a young age.
    I'm not much for television or movies, so there. :D

    Thanks for stopping by my blog: Eithne on the Moon: lifestyle, books and travels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know any of these people, haha. I don't really follow famous people so I'm not sure of who my favourite people are. Probably Taylor Swift ;)

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE Shonda Rhimes! Scandal & Grey's are two of my favourite shows. I really need to start watching How to Get Away With Murder! xo

    ReplyDelete