Wednesday, 10 December 2014

The Non-Girly Girl's Guide to Girly Movies | Film & Producing

Girly. What does that word really mean? Who exactly is the intended demographic when one uses the word girly? Women are complex creatures, and to reduce them into the girly or tomboy category has made little sense to me, but for argument's sake let's take Hollywood's stance on female viewership - we love chick flicks. I'm generally not a genre person at all, but I'd probably list chick flicks among my least favourite. But when I do find myself gravitating towards the genre, I can't quite work out why. Is it because of an actress I was particularly fond of? A new fresh spin on the genre? Who knows, but if you're like me and tend to steer well clear of the "tearjerker" category on Netflix, why not give these a try?

The Classic
Breakfast at Tiffany's, 1961, Blake Edwards.
This film is such a delight. Though I'm sure most of you know it well, Breakfast at Tiffany's follows the escapades of New York Socialite and gal about town, Holly Golightly as she tried to snag herself a millionaire, whilst being chased by hapless writer, and categorically non-millionaire Paul Varjak. I'm a big fan of the sixties and seventies, and this film captures it all. Plues it's based on a novella by Truman Capote, so you know it's good.


Sleepover Fodder
Legally Blonde, 2001, Robert Luketic
Ditzy blonde Elle Woods proves all her critics wrong, including her ex boyfriend who unceremoniously dumps her, by snagging a place at Harvard Law School "What like it's hard?!" she famously says. Elle shakes up the stuffy Harvard halls and shows her peers that you can be smart and pretty. Like, duh! Super fun, super silly, and one of my favourite Reese Witherspoon roles!


The Brit Flick

Bridget Jones's Diary, 2001, Sharon Maguire
I think this film has to be my favourite of all the chick flick kingdom. Bridget is a 30 something singleton who after many failed romantic encounters, decides to shake up her life - she quits, booze, cigarettes and hits the gym. Rennée Zellweger is perfect as Bridget, and written by the king of British Rom-Coms Richard Curtis (Notting Hill, Love Actually) how can you go wrong?

The Christmas Film
Home Alone, 1990, Chris Colombus
Though not a Rom-Com, I've never been a big Christmas movie lover either. That is, apart from Home Alone. Where do I even start with this film? Perfect writing, perfect casting (Joe Pesci as the villain anyone?), and written by none other than 80s hero John Hughes (The Breakfast Club, Ferris Bueller's Day off) and what a plot - family vacation to Paris, 8 year old kid accidentally left at home, must defend home against robbers. I loved this when I was young, and I still do. 


The Teen Flick
The Craft, 1996, Andrew Fleming
I fell in love with this film when I watched it at a sleepover when I was about 10. It has everything you could ever ask for from a teen flick - high school drama, the new girl, bitchy ringleader and... witches? Oh and Neve Campbell. What 90s teen film is complete without Neve Campbell?


The Tearjerker
August Osage County, 2013, John Wells
I watched this fairly recently and I was totally gripped from beginning to end. Firstly, take a look at that cast - Meryl, Ewan, Juliette and in my opinion the best performance from Julia Roberts I've ever seen and the film's standout (which against Meryl Streep is pretty hard to do). This is a real family saga, lifting the lid behind a dysfunction family who come together over tragic circumstances. This is a blackly funny, moody film, which has me crying buckets at the end. You can really tell this is based on a play (by Tracey Lett's) as it has that slow moving, claustrophobic feel to it a lot of play adaptations have. 

Have you guys seen any of these? What are some of your favourite films?

Drea xo

4 comments:

  1. Wow what great picks.
    www.rumelatheshopaholic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last two are going on my to watch list, my favourite film is Like Minds such a pyschological thriller!
    Mary-Ann xx
    Angel Flicks

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are pretty much all my favorite movies. Especially Breakfast at Tiffany's!

    COOCOO FOR COCO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not seen the last two so I will check them out. Mean Girls and Clueless have to be my ultimate 90s flicks x

    Rhea
    thegridldn.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete